1. I don't have to drive to work anymore. The kids and I walk out our front door, up the short parking lot uphill and through a door in the compound's walls. The school is immediately next door to the compound. I keep meaning to measure how many steps it is on my Fitbit. I estimate about 500 steps.
2. Security checks all of our backpacks in the morning. The main entrance has a metal detector and bag check.
3. This school is pre-K to grade 12. I drop Jack and Sydney off at their playground and waiting areas. I head to the secondary side to my classroom. I get to see Sydney playing at recess twice a day through my classroom's window. I also have the ability to peek at Jack during snack or his specials. They are just down the hall from my classroom.
4. The school day is much longer for high school: 7:30 to 4 p.m. I don't mind it though because we have a snack break in the mid-morning where one can buy a small snack at the cafeteria. I like the beef shawarma or meat pies. Also, lunch is longer here than in the States and the cafeteria has outside food vendors offering Indian, Thai, Nigerian foods and Sydney's favorite, Galaxy Pizza.
5. The students call the teachers Ms. First Name in the secondary school. I go by Sra. Last Name since that's what I'm used to, but it isn't unusual hear Ms. Kristin.
6. In Nigerian culture, it is important for people to greet one another and ask after one's well-being. Teenagers greet adults, without prompting, even if they don't have you as a teacher. Good morning, good afternoon and good night.
7. Back in Virginia, I rarely saw students outside of the school since I lived so far away. Now, I live on the same compound as many of them, see the at Embassy events and run into them in the community at the store, pool and mall.
First Day of School - Sydney (2nd), Jack (Kindergarten), Kristin (Year 11)
Playground picture taken by a student yearbook photographer


No comments:
Post a Comment